Monday, February 19, 2007

After School Programs

The article that I read was called "A New Learning Day" and it was about after school programs and the new ways that they are being used.
After school programs to me were places that you could either one, do your homework or two, play with your friends while waiting for your parents to pick you up. But in this article it shows me the extinsive work being done to make the after school program one where you can almost extend the school day, where children can continue to learn. Most of the article is about budgets and designs for future programs, but altogether the article was a fun one to read.
I liked this article alot, because hopefully by the time I start teaching programs like the ones disscussed will be widespread and active in whatever school I'm in. I think the program will help children to find things that they enjoy in time that they would otherwise be spending doing something that might be less worthy or getting into trouble. The time after school doesn't need to be school, but the activities can still be educational and inspire the kids to extend their creativity. Hopefully there will continue to be good news about this program that I can read later on.

No comments: